Thursday 26 September 2013

RIC44 - Happy Birthday, Thomas!


My nephew's birthday is coming (in fact, I have 5 nephews who have birthdays between October 4 and December 11, so be prepared for lots of boy birthday cards over the next couple of months!). Thomas is my eldest nephew and so an understated, sophisticated design is in order (the other 4 are turning 6 and 7 this year, so their cards will have a different feel!)

I decided to take my inspiration from the current Runway Inspired Challenge:



I focused on the partially covered spidery looking vines and chose a thin font and used some vellum to convey a similar feel.  I cut the front panel using my Silhouette and then cut the same numbers twice in vellum. I took out the white 15 and laid in the vellum 15 before stamping and embossing the sentiment (Milo's Alphabet from Lawnfawn). Then I laid the other vellum 15 on top, so the embossed sentiment is sandwiched between two layers of vellum.



17 comments:

  1. huh, I was wondering how you got thick looking vellum that has such a see-through quality. It's because you stamped a vellum sandwich! Love that! Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is what you were working on, Ardyth ... very very cool! The vellum sandwich is such a clever idea and works perfectly with that wonderful fine font. Colours are perfect for a young man card! Just thinking of all the possibilities with colour tinted vellum ... think I can feel a CASE coming on! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now thats an amazing design technique... love the sentiment showing through :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for giving us a tutorial on how you made your card. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you explained how you created this classy card Ardyth. I was also wondering how you made the vellum look so thick. Very clever to inlay a couple of layers. Love this look!!! I see you're loving your Silhouette. :) It's a magical machine for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, great instructions and are you not loving your Silhouette?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this Ardyth. This is the perfect guy/teen card. Great design... as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT card, Ardyth! Love the look of the vellum under and over the #s. This card rocks and I'm sure you 15 yr old nephew with think the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMAZING!!! Yep, totally rendered speechless once again by your remarkable creativity and how beautifully you bring those ideas to life!

    .....wow

    ReplyDelete
  10. What the others said. lol Most would have just cut out the vellum and glued it over. You took it three steps farther and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a clever design and perfect for a 15 year old! I'm sure your nephew is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! So clean and simple and chic! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So perfect in every way! Love it, Ardyth! So glad that you join the fun with us at Runway Inspired Challenge! (ps: too bad that we are both busy at the same time in Chi-town!) Hope you have fUN!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your use of the velum! Clever engineering. Great card for your nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so in love with this card! It speaks to my clean and simple heart :) Thanks for joining us on the Runway!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.