Friday 28 September 2012

OLW 107 - MASKing





This week's One Layer Wednesday is being hosted by Karen. The challenge is to use masking. Remember last week, the challenge was to use sponging?

I tend to confuse masking and sponging in my mind because I often do both together, like last week. So this week I decided to do masking with no sponging. Amazing how my mind works, isn't it? lol!

I masked a 1/2 inch strip across the front of the card and then stamped the Impress snowflake in stamped-off London Fog and versamark (so it wouldn't be completely colourless). I pulled off the mask and embossed the snowflake bits with iridescent embossing powder.

Then I scored each side of the masked strip and stamped Annabelle Stamps "Joy" in real red.

You will have noticed that I've photographed this card on a red background. And now you know my little secret about one layer cards (especially white one layer cards). I always think they look better with a coloured frame around them. Gasp!

Also, it's much easier for a camera (at least my camera and my limited photography and photo editing skills) to deal with high contrast images. Here's what the photo looked like on my normal white background:


So, you can see that I continue to struggle with photography, but I figure that the whole world struggles with it, otherwise there would be no Photoshop, right? lol!

14 comments:

  1. Beautifully simple. Nice tip about the photography - my biggest stumbling block! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful card! Heehee re photoshop ... well said! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card, very beautiful, great tip on the photography, thats something I struggle with too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes...I struggle with it too. Looks awesome on the red background! Such a stunning, elegant card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just beautiful! Thanks for the idea for the colored background for white cards, I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very elegant! I like just the hint of colour on the snowflake. The coloured backdrop definitely showcases the card better. I must use mine more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ardyth, another knock-out card. This is so eye catchingly beautiful. Love it. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever to divide the snowflake with the sentiment...but my fav is the scored lines - they really anchor the sentiment!

    Love the red background too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mind would never have gone in this direction for masking, Ardyth. Thanks for that inspiration! I love the pop of the red in the joy and it does look better with the color behind it. I have photoshop, but so far haven't had much luck with it. I told DH that I needed a week off just to try to work through all that. Don't think that's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's absolutely gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous stamp. Love the shimmery embossing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your newest follower. Love this idea.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.